Are you thinking about deleting your Skype account, but you know it is directly tied up with the Microsoft account? And a single Microsoft account centralizes most of Microsoft services, that means all of the services and accounts linked up with the account will also delete or stop working. You will lose access to your Outlook inbox, online Office applications, OneDrive documents, Xbox Live, and some other services. If you’re using most of these then instead of deleting your Skype account, you can delete your profile info, conversations, and messages.
Things you want to do before closing your Account:
• Deactivate the automatic recharge option, if activated for any service on your account.
• Spend all the credits, if you’ve left in your account.
• You can export your contacts from Settings and preferences under Account details.
How to make your Skype account unsearchable
If you don’t want your Skype account to come in searches and want to continue using your Microsoft account, then the simple procedure for doing this is delete your personal details from Skype.
How to delete personal information from Skype
To hide your account from searching, you need to remove all the information from your profile you entered while creating it. Remove your name, date of birth, gender, phone number, location, and email address. Here is how to delete information from a Skype account.
1. Open ‘Skype’ sign in page.
2. Enter your Skype account details and sign in.
3. In the menu, click on your ‘Name or username.’
4. Go to ‘My account.’
5. Scroll down in the opened page.
6. And click on ‘Edit profile.’
7. Click the ‘ Edit profile’ button of personal information.
From here you can delete your personal information and also select to hide your account in search results.
How to close a Skype Account (Microsoft Account) permanently
If you’ve finally decided to close your Skype Account, here are the guidelines.
1. Visit “go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=523898” to open Microsoft account deletion page directly.
Alternatively, sign in into Microsoft > open ‘profile’ > select ‘Settings’ > click ‘Close your account’.
2. Enter your Email, phone or Skype.
3. Click ‘Next.’
4. Enter your Skype password.
5. Click ‘Sign in.’
6. Select an option (Text or Email) to verify your identity.
7. Then click the ‘Send code’ button.
8. Microsoft will send a verification code on your entered email or phone.
9. Open message or email by Microsoft.
10. Type the code in the Enter code window.
11. Click ‘Verify.’
12. Account deletion page will open on your screen.
13. Read the account closing instructions and click ‘Next.’
14. Next, click and check all the boxes of the effect of closure.
15. Open the ‘Select reason’ box.
16. Select your reason from the given reasons.
17. Click ‘Mark account for closure’ button.
Your Skype account closing request is submitted, Microsoft will delete your account permanently after 60 days, till then your account remains deactivated. During this 60 days if your mind has changed and you want to retain your account, just sign in with your account credential in any Microsoft service to reactivate it.
Olivia Jones is a self-professed security expert; she has been making the people aware of the security threats.Her passion is to write about Cyber security, cryptography, malware, social engineering, internet and new media. He writes for Norton security products at norton.com/setup.